The Project AWARE Specialty program is designed to familiarize divers and nondivers with the plight of worldwide aquatic ecosystems. It also describes what individuals can do to help protect aquatic resources.
The program is a nondiving course that only contains classroom presentations.
It may be conducted as a stand-alone program or in conjunction with other PADI Specialty Diver courses.
This course include the following:
- The Project AWARE philosophy about protecting worldwide aquatic ecosystems.
- The importance of and interdependent nature of worldwide aquatic ecosystems.
- Pertinent issues concerning the environmental status of worldwide aquatic ecosystems, including: fisheries concerns, coastal zone management and marine pollution.
- The status of specific, critically degraded marine environments.
- Suggestions and information about specific actions that may help to conserve worldwide aquatic ecosystems.
To enroll in the Project AWARE Specialty program, participants need not be certified divers nor have any prior scuba or snorkeling experience. There is no minimum age requirement.