PADI Specialty Instructor Training courses teach instructor candidates how to organize, promote and conduct PADI Specialty Diver courses.
These courses emphasize the importance of Specialty Diver training within the PADI System of diver education. Often, several Specialty Instructor Training courses are taught in conjunction with one another
as part of a Master Scuba Diver Trainer Preparatory program.
By completing a Specialty Instructor Training Course, instructor candidates need only document 10 logged open water dives (20 for
Semiclosed Rebreather) in the specialty area, rather than the 20 dives required when applying directly to PADI. These dives may be completed as part of the Specialty Instructor Training course. The formal education provided by Specialty Instructor Training courses also eliminates the need for instructors to have certified 25 divers
To enroll in most Specialty Instructor training, an individual must:
1. Be a renewed PADI Assistant Instructor, PADI Instructor or have completed an IDC or Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) program.
Within the past 12 months.
- Certified PADI Assistant Instructors may participate in PADI Specialty Instructor Training courses prior to attending an OWSI program and PADI Instructor Examination (IE). After successfully completing training, PADI Assistant Instructors may apply for Specialty Instructor certifications in specialties without dives, such as Equipment Specialist, as long as all other certification requirements are met.
- For other Specialty Instructor Training courses, PADI Assistant Instructors must successfully complete an OWSI Program and IE prior to submitting Specialty Instructor applications.
- Candidates who have successfully completed an IDC/OWSI program, but not an IE, are required to be certified as PADI Assistant Instructors before submitting any Specialty Instructor applications for specialties without dives.
2. To attend a PADI Enriched Air Instructor Training Course the participant must:
- Be certified as a PADI Enriched Air Diver or hold another qualifying certification (this means trained in the procedures and use of enriched air “nitrox” for no-decompression diving with blends of up to 40 percent oxygen).
- complete the PADI Enriched Air Diver course in conjunction with the PADI Enriched Air Instructor Training Course.
3. To attend a PADI Semiclosed Rebreather (Ray or Dolphin/Atlantis) Instructor Training Course the participant must:
- Be certified as a PADI Enriched Air Diver Specialty Instructor.
- Be certified as a PADI Semiclosed Rebreather Diver (Ray or Dolphin/Atlantis, as appropriate) or hold another qualifying certification OR complete a PADI Semiclosed Rebreather Diver course (Ray or Dolphin/Atlantis, as appropriate) in conjunction with the PADI Semiclosed Rebreather (Ray or Dolphin/Atlantis) Instructor Training.
4. To attend a PADI Digital Underwater Photographer Instructor Training Course the participant must be certified as a PADI Divemaster, PADI Assistant Instructor or PADI Instructor.